Two young people exercising at the gym

Get out, get active, meet friends

Getting active and taking part in sport or other recreational activities is not only good for your body, it’s also good for your mental wellbeing too — and it can be a great way of meeting new friends who share similar interests.

Read more

Living at home with your family/whānau

Living at home with your family can be a good option for people with disabilities. The advantages are that you are able to enjoy a stable, familiar home environment with the people you care about – and who care about you. If living at home is a good option for you, then find out what support you can get to make your life as independent as possible.

Read more
Girl Sitting On The Couch with a cup of tea

Independent living

Do you want to live in your own home, by yourself or with your partner/family members, but still have access to the support you need? Here’s some information about living independently.

Read more
Grey van driving on urban road

Help with transport costs

Having access to transport means you and the person you care for can get out and about. If you are finding it hard to cover the costs of transport, here are some places you can get help.

Read more
Four people sitting around table setting goals

Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC)

If someone you care for needs support because of a disability, you can contact your local Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) service. Your local NASC can identify the kinds of services that are available to support you and the person you care for.

Read more
Wheelchair access ramp going into a school room

School modifications and transport support

Schools and kura are responsible for making sure they are safe and accessible for all students. So, if your child needs wheelchair access, or if they require handrails or other building changes, the school will need to arrange suitable modifications.

Read more