Transition Programme – from school to adult life
Transition is a process that occurs for young people who are in their last years of high school and preparing to move on. The aim is to move students smoothly into post-school education, employment and/or community services and activities.
Transition planning involves setting goals and developing skills and experiences to lead a happy, purposeful and productive life after school.
Life Unlimited will work with the young person, their family/whānau and the school to make the transition from school to adult life as easy as possible.
The process is driven by the student/ whānau and the student is actively engaged in determining/implementing their future goals.
Life Unlimited offers information and support that opens the door to a wider range of inclusive community-based options for the young person and their family. Download the information sheet.
Who can access the Life Unlimited Transition Programme?
- Students with a disability who are funded as part of the Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS) and need support to achieve a successful transition into post school activities.
- Students preparing to leave school will benefit from the Life Unlimited Transition Programme and are usually 16 to 21 years old.
How will Transition benefit you?
- Identify a clear plan to enter adulthood and live a more independent life.
- Raise self-esteem, confidence and motivation through participation and self-development.
- Gain knowledge in services available to you.
- Identify dreams and goals for the future
- Build personal development and social skills.
Cost and delivery
- There is no cost to students or their families to use our Transition Programme.
- The programme is coordinated by Life Unlimited staff, with one-on-one support provided.
How does our Transition Programme work?
- We meet with the student and help them identify their goals for a good life. We also meet their family and school.
- We help the student make a transition plan based on their skills and strengths so they can meet their goals.
- We provide one-on-one support to help students work towards their goals and transition smoothly from school life into successful and fulfilling futures.