Discover the “Whare-O-Rongo”: House and garden of senses
A unique place has been built so a range of users can experience many tangible benefits. This specially designed and fitted room plus garden are based on the Snoezelen ‘doze and sniff’ model developed in The Netherlands during the 1970s. People with disabilities can visit the Multi-Sensory Environment (MSE) room and garden to enjoy a wide range of experiences for therapy, learning, relaxation and fun. Using the room and garden is made easy through training and a flexible booking system.
To book please phone 0800 008 011.
Book either a one hour weekly session (for up to 8 weeks) or book 4 fortnightly sessions at a time to take advantage of the many benefits this experience offers.
Who can benefit from use of the room and garden?
- Children who have significant special needs such as cerebral palsy, intellectual disability, multiple disability or autism.
- People who have had a brain injury
- Adults who have an intellectual disability
- People who have dementia and related disorders
- People who have chronic pain
- People who have mental health problems
- People who experience stress
How can use of the room and garden be beneficial to people?
Specialised equipment and resources in the MSE room and garden support people to
- Completely relax
- Interact with other people and activities
- Control some of the activities
The MSE room and garden can assist with:
- Specific development of the senses
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Understanding “cause and effect”
- Learning how to interact with other people and activities
- Choice-making and indicating preferences
- Learning new skills
- Memory recall
- Relaxation and fun
- Touch – Massage Mattress, weighted blanket, tactile wall and floor panels, fan, tactile plants
- Sight – Lights, mirror ball, bubble columns, effects projector, fibre optics.
- Sound – Music, sound effects, musical instruments, water feature.
- Smell – Fragrant lotions and scented plants.
- Movement – “Leaf Chair”, hammock swing, foam shapes
Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm; Saturday from 9.30am – 12.30pm.
Life Unlimited, 20 Palmerston St, Hamilton.
A small cost of $7.50 per person or $15 for two or more people (including GST) applies. Payment arrangements include cash, EFTPOS or monthly invoicing.
Clients must be accompanied by either a whānau member or support person, who has been trained in the use of the Multi-Sensory Environment room and garden.
People supporting those to use the sensory room must attend our basic training to use the room. We deliver regular training workshops at Life Unlimited, 20 Palmerston Street, Hamilton. The fee for attending a workshop is $50.00 (including GST) per person.
MSE coordinator will be in contact if you are a new supplier for setting up invoicing. Participants will be invoiced after training. Training can be paid for by cash, EFTPOS, credit/debit card, purchase order and bank transfer.
To register for one of the training workshops, please complete the forms below and send to the multi sensory coordinator Wendy van den Berg. If you have not received confirmation within 5 working days, please call 0800 008 011.
2020 training workshops:
All training runs from 9.30am – 2pm
Monday 21 September Fully booked Tuesday 3 NovemberFully booked Friday 11 DecemberFully booked
2021 training workshops:
All training runs from 9.30am – 2pm
- Tuesday 9 February
- Wednesday 17 March
- Thursday 22 April
- Friday 28 May
- Tuesday 29 June
Multi-sensory training for staff/whanau who have completed multi sensory basic training within the past three years with Life Unlimited.
A refresher training to gain more insight, ideas, and to support goal setting for people using the multi-sensory room.
A useful 2-hour session also for managers who support staff bringing clients to the multi-sensory room to understand the usefulness of the facility.
There will also be some pre-course reading required, and exercises to be done in a staff meeting/with whanau prior to attending this refresher. This will be emailed to participants once registration form is received.
Enquire about multi-sensory environments here:
Enquire about booking into the multi-sensory room or more information about multi-sensory environments freephone 0800 008 011 during business hours or complete the following: