Multi Sensory Environments
Discover the “Whare-O-Rongo”: House and garden of senses
A unique place has been built so a range of users can experience many tangible benefits. This specially designed and fitted room plus garden are based on the Snoezelen ‘doze and sniff’ model developed in The Netherlands during the 1970s. People with disabilities can visit the MSE room and garden to enjoy a wide range of experiences for therapy, learning, relaxation and fun. Using the room and garden is made easy through training and a flexible booking system.
To book please phone 0800 008 011.
Book either a one hour weekly session (for up to 8 weeks) or book 4 fortnightly sessions at a time to take advantage of the many benefits this experience offers.
- Children who have significant special needs such as Cerebral Palsy, intellectual disability, multiple disability or Autism.
- People who have had a brain injury
- Adults who have an intellectual disability
- People who have dementia and related disorders
- People who have chronic pain
- People who have mental health problems
- People who experience stress
Watch the official opening of Life Unlimited’s sensory garden on Monday September 4, 2017
Specialised equipment and resources in the MSE room and garden support people to
- Completely relax
- Interact with other people and activities
- Control some of the activities
The MSE room and garden can assist with:
- Specific development of the senses
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Understanding “cause and effect”
- Learning how to interact with other people and activities
- Choice-making and indicating preferences
- Learning new skills
- Memory recall
- Relaxation and fun
- Touch – Massage Mattress, weighted blanket, tactile wall and floor panels, fan, tactile plants
- Sight – Lights, mirror ball, bubble columns, effects projector, fibre optics.
- Sound – Music, sound effects, musical instruments, water feature.
- Smell – Fragrant lotions and scented plants.
- Movement – “Leaf Chair”, hammock swing, foam shapes
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday; Saturday from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
Life Unlimited, 20 Palmerston St, Hamilton.
A small cost of $7.50 including GST per session applies. The charge is invoiced monthly unless on a casual basis by arrangement. Costs may be subsidised by other agencies.
Clients must be accompanied by either a parent or a Support Worker, who has been trained in the use of the MSE room and garden.
People supporting those to use the sensory room must attend our basic training to use the room. We deliver regular training workshops at Life Unlimited, 20 Palmerston Street, Hamilton. The fee for attending a workshop is $50.00 (including GST) per person.
To register for one of the basic training workshops, please complete the registration form and send to the multisensory coordinator . If you have not received confirmation within 5 working days, please call 0800 008 011.MSE registration form 2019
Next basic training workshops:
- Tuesday 23 July – 9.30am – 3pm
- Friday 30 August – 9.30am – 3pm
- Tuesday 8 October – 9.30am – 3pm
- Monday 11 November – 9.30am – 3pm
- Thursday 19 December – 9.30am – 3pm
Enquire about multisensory environments here:
Enquire about booking into the multisensory room or more information about multisensory environments freephone 0800 008 011 during business hours or complete the following: