Multi Sensory Environments
Discover the “Whare-O-Rongo”: House and garden of senses
A unique place has been built so a range of users can experience many tangible benefits. This specially designed and fitted room plus garden are based on the Snoezelen ‘doze and sniff’ model developed in The Netherlands during the 1970s. People with disabilities can visit the MSE room and garden to enjoy a wide range of experiences for therapy, learning, relaxation and fun. Using the room and garden is made easy through training and a flexible booking system.
To book please phone 0800 008 011.
Book either a one hour weekly session (for up to 8 weeks) or book 4 fortnightly sessions at a time to take advantage of the many benefits this experience offers.
- Children who have significant special needs such as Cerebral Palsy, intellectual disability, multiple disability or Autism.
- People who have had a brain injury
- Adults who have an intellectual disability
- People who have dementia and related disorders
- People who have chronic pain
- People who have mental health problems
- People who experience stress
Watch the official opening of Life Unlimited’s sensory garden on Monday September 4, 2017
Specialised equipment and resources in the MSE room and garden support people to
- Completely relax
- Interact with other people and activities
- Control some of the activities
The MSE room and garden can assist with:
- Specific development of the senses
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Understanding “cause and effect”
- Learning how to interact with other people and activities
- Choice-making and indicating preferences
- Learning new skills
- Memory recall
- Relaxation and fun
- Touch – Massage Mattress, weighted blanket, tactile wall and floor panels, fan, tactile plants
- Sight – Lights, mirror ball, bubble columns, effects projector, fibre optics.
- Sound – Music, sound effects, musical instruments, water feature.
- Smell – Fragrant lotions and scented plants.
- Movement – “Leaf Chair”, hammock swing, foam shapes
Monday to Friday 9am -5pm; Saturday from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
Life Unlimited, 20 Palmerston St, Hamilton.
A small cost of $7.50 per person or $15 for two or more people (including GST) applies. Payment arrangements include cash, EFTPOS or monthly invoicing.
Clients must be accompanied by either a whanau member or support person, who has been trained in the use of the MSE room and garden.
People supporting those to use the sensory room must attend our basic training to use the room. We deliver regular training workshops at Life Unlimited, 20 Palmerston Street, Hamilton. The fee for attending a workshop is $50.00 (including GST) per person.
MSE coordinator will be in contact if you are a new supplier for setting up invoicing. Participants will be invoiced after training. Training can be paid for by cash, EFTPOS, credit/debit card, purchase order and bank transfer.
To register for one of the basic training workshops, please complete the registration form and send to the multisensory coordinator Wendy van den Berg. If you have not received confirmation within 5 working days, please call 0800 008 011.MSE registration form 2020
All 2019 training sessions are fully booked
Next basic training workshops:
All training runs from 9.30am – 2pm
- Tuesday 21 January
- Wednesday 4 March
- Thursday 16 April
- Monday 25 May
- Friday 10 July
Enquire about multisensory environments here:
Enquire about booking into the multisensory room or more information about multisensory environments freephone 0800 008 011 during business hours or complete the following: