Multi Sensory Environment Room
Discover the “Whare-O-Rongo”: House of Senses
A unique place has been built so a range of users can experience many tangible benefits. This specially designed and fitted room is based on the Snoezelen ‘doze and sniff’ model developed in The Netherlands during the 1970’s. People with disabilities can visit the MSE room to enjoy a wide range of experiences for therapy, learning, relaxation and fun. Using the room is made easy through training and a flexible booking system.
To book please freephone 0800 008 011.
Book either a one hour weekly session (for up to 8 weeks) or book 4 fortnightly sessions at a
time to take advantage of the many benefits this experience offers.
- Children who have significant special needs such as Cerebral Palsy, intellectual disability, multiple disability or Autism.
- People who have had a brain injury
- Adults who have an intellectual disability
- People who have dementia and related disorders
- People who have chronic pain
- People who have mental health problems
- People who experience stress
Specialised equipment and resources in the MSE room support people to
- Completely relax
- Interact with other people and activities
- Control some of the activities
The MSE room can assist with:
- Specific development of the senses
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Understanding “cause and effect”
- Learning how to interact with other people and activities
- Choice-making and indicating preferences
- Learning new skills
- Memory recall
- Relaxation and fun
- Touch – Massage Mattress, weighted blanket, tactile wall and floor panels, fan
- Sight – Lights, mirror ball, bubble columns, effects projector, fibre optics.
- Sound – Music, sound effects, musical instruments.
- Smell – Essential oils.
- Movement – “Leaf Chair”, hammock swing, foam shapes
9.00 am to 4.30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Life Unlimited, 20 Palmerston St, Hamilton.
A small cost of $7.50 including GST per session applies. The charge is invoiced monthly unless on a casual basis by arrangement. Costs may be subsidised by other agencies.
Clients must be accompanied by either a parent or a Support Worker, who has been trained in the use of the MSE room.
Parents or support workers must attend a workshop to use the MSE room. We deliver quarterly training workshops at Life Unlimited, 20 Palmerston Street, Hamilton. The fee for attending a workshop is $50.00 plus GST per person.
Next basic training workshops:
Wednesday 21 June
Thursday 13 July
Wednesday 16 August
Thursday 12 October
Monday 27 November
Training Workshop Booking made easy
To secure your place at one of our workshops or for further information either: freephone 0800 008 011 during business hours, or
Book online now –
Complete your online enquiry or phone us on freephone 0800 008 011.